Another role I have at Woodland Public School is the position of Homeless Liaison. In this position my responsiblility is as follows:
- Ensure that homeless children and youth (including preschool children and unaccompanied youth) are identified and immediately enrolled in school by establishing a referral process with school staff and community agencies.
- Inform parents/students of their educational rights.
- Inform parents/students of transportation rights, including transportation to the school of origin.
- Guarantee that students receive free school meals, school supplies, and course fee waivers.
- Alert appropriate staff, in a confidential manner, of the student's living situation.
- Collaborate with community service providers, school personnel, and the state homeless coordinator to provide homeless children and youth education and related services.
To address the problems that homeless children and youth have faced in enrolling, attending, and succeeding in school. Under this program, State educational agencies must ensure that each homeless child and youth has access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as other children. Homeless children and youth should have access to the same challenging student academic achievement standards to which all students are held.